Friday, July 30, 2010

Crocheting using a knitting pattern

 I borrowed Susan Anderson's cute book
Itty-Bitty Nursery from the library
and fell in love with her cute
pacifier clips.
I knew that there was no way that I could knit
them but I wondered if I could crochet them
using the pattern as a guide.
I chose the elephant because it's cute but
also because it is made up of simple shapes.
This is how it turned out.

I started by substituting a single crochet 
for the knit stitches.
This worked well and even the gauge
came out the same.
Then I tried a couple of ways to handle the
increases/decreases, none worked.
Each resulted in incorrect stitch counts.

So what I did instead was
I looked at the stitch count at the end of each row.
and made the number of increases/decreases
necessary to get the right number of stitches.
I then spread out the increases and decreases 
as evenly as possible in each row. 


Obviously if you are comfortable with 
knitting a small toy on DPNs then that's
the way to go.
But I'm not so I'm glad that,
at least as far as this pattern is concerned,
I was able to produce a decent crocheted clone!

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Getting back into crochet

I haven't crocheted since March for a few reasons.....
vacation, family get togethers, hot, humid weather, gardening, 
and I've gotten back into reading every day.
(I just finished The Girl who played with Fire).
Great book! 
I'm looking forward to reading the 3rd one which, 
unfortunately, is also the last.

So I decided to start small by making these booties.

 I changed them up a bit by slanting
the strap to the side.
I'm fairly happy with them although 
the pattern has a mistake in it
and it took quite a while to get the correction.


I hope Sebastian likes them.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...