Tuesday, March 15, 2011

My newest teacosy

Here is a bit of a lop-sided picture
of my latest tea cosy
 
my latest cosy

I made three flowers to go on the top

top view of tea cosy

There is a bit of a story on how this cosy came about.
Back in 2009 I found this brown, green and orange cosy
at a garage sale.
 
thrifted tea cosy
 
At that time I had never seen a cosy like
this and wondered it I could make one like it.
I could figure out most of the pattern but
I really couldn't figure out how the ridges were made.
Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago when
I decided to look again on Ravlery
and there I found a bunch of cosies that
were made from an Australian booklet.
 
A sweet Ravelry member explained how
the stitch was made.
Turns out it is a puff stitch which
is made around the back post
of another puff stitch.
It causes this lovely edge that 
stands out nicely from the flat dc.

Here is a shot of my cosy from the
other side which shows the ridges better.
 
tea cosy with ridges

I have to say this was a fun project from start to finish.

8 comments:

Esther said...

I really love them!!!
I think I wanna make one too in my kitchen colours.

martha brown said...

I love your new tea cozy! I've finally learned how to crochet (so fun!)

sukigirl said...

Thanks Star, I'm trying out different colour combos than the ones I usually use.

Thanks Esther, I friended you on Ravelry. I'm also headed to your part of the world in June. We're checking out Amsterdam....I can't wait!

Thanks Martha, I see you're taking classes at the knit cafe. I may have to check out their knitting classes. I love your little hedgehog!

Linda said...

Very, very cute! I love it. The roses are perfect.

Sus said...

I love it! Isn't it fun to reverse-engineer things from old handmade items you find? I think it's a blast. Great job!

sukigirl said...

Thanks Linda....I love making flowers because they are so fast to make.

Thanks Sus...blast is the perfect word for it. I had a goofy grin on my face the whole time I was making it.

Rose said...

This is gorgeous! Is there a pattern for this one somewhere!? :)

sukigirl said...

Thanks Rose,
Not really a pattern as I made it up from looking at an old cosy. It's basically double crochets in the flat parts and the puff stitch forms the ridges.
I think that there were 10 ridges in total.
Apparently there is a pattern out there somewhere but I haven't ever found it.
cheers

Crochet Max from the Wild Things

 Who doesn't love Max!! I'm really happy with this cute little guy Pattern by Carla Mitrani  You can find her on Ravelry  Max Patter...