Saturday, October 4, 2008

A needlepoint with a few problems

When needlepoint goes bad

This was supposed to be part of a swap project
for a good friend but I decided not
to finish it.
It was to be a pincushion,
with a needlepoint on one side
and fabric for pins on the other side.
It all started really well.....
The design was based on her avatar.

I started stitching the bird and flower first and
I was happy with them. But the background white
caused problems for me,
I used a larger stitch and my tension
turned out to be too tight,
which badly skewed the whole canvas.
When I blocked it, it squared up a bit but
the tension was still too tight.

But I think I learned from my mistakes.
Next time I will use a frame and
keep all of my stitches the same size.
I'll also relax my tension
(maybe with the aid of a glass of wine).
I would really like to have another crack at
this because I do think it could be a
pretty little project if done well.

4 comments:

coltpixy said...

That is beautiful!
Hey! The screwed up mess you got looks bad, that does not.
I can't wait until we start our next project. No telling what kind of mess we will make. It sure is a lot of fun trying to learn something new anyway.

sukigirl said...

I agree, it's just so much fun to dive in and try something new!
If it works out, it's a bonus!

Jane said...

This is a lovely design and the colours are fantastic. Don't give up

sukigirl said...

Thank you miss 376, for the encouragement to continue trying.

I had fun looking at your blog and seeing your beautiful needlepoint and cross stitch!
I'd love to be able to stitch like that!

Crochet Max from the Wild Things

 Who doesn't love Max!! I'm really happy with this cute little guy Pattern by Carla Mitrani  You can find her on Ravelry  Max Patter...