Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Day 10: teacosy made from thrifted hat

Day 10: teacosy made from thrifted hat
When I found this hat yesterday 
at the thrift store I didn't know
what I would do with it
but it was such pretty colours 
that I couldn't resist.
Thrifted hat and scarf
Both the scarf and the hat
were each 69 cents.
Normally I would just wear the
hat but it was a toddler 
size so that was out.
Then I realized that it
would make a perfect teacosy.

First I tried to sew a band of
stitches on either side of 
where I would cut
(this technique has always
worked in the past).
 Making a slot for the teapot handle
But it was so thick it wouldn't
go under the pressure foot so 
I sewed the rows by hand.
The second I started to cut I
knew I was in trouble because
all the stitches started to unravel.
So I put tape on the back to 
temporarily stop more unraveling and
resewed the edges with yarn that
I had unraveled from the flaps.
Then I single crocheted over the edges
to clean up the mess.
I had been thinking of cutting
a hole for the spout but because the
side and top were made in one piece
I knew that I might ruin it.

I have to say that I'm very
chuffed at my new teacosy and
I'm going to be on the lookout
for other suitable hats.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cost 69 cents.
So far this month 69 cents

3 comments:

Molly said...

I think that was 69 cents very well spent. You have a great eye to see a tea cosy hiding in that hat. Good for you!!

Mette aka mettuska said...

What a nice idea!

sukigirl said...

I apologize for my delay in thanking you both. I was sure I had.

Thanks both so much, I think I'm heading into a teacosy addiction.
It's starts out so innocently with just one and then before you know it your family is having an intervention LOL!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...